This process started in September and October with exercises to begin to think about our patrons. These are described here. In November we talked about walking in each other's shoes and about the perceptions each person has about the other's jobs. That is described here.
Step two of the process involved them "voting" for the points they felt were most important to them using stickers. Photos of the "voting" process and the completed sheets are at the bottom.
After the meeting, I and a colleague carefully reviewed all of the sheets and boiled down all of the information to the statements below. This does not complete the process. This information will be shared back with all of the staff for them to review for anything that is missing, or items they feel should not be there. Additionally, I imagine some wordsmithing will happen.
When completed, these documents will be made into posters for display in the staff workrooms as a reminder. They are not meant to become public documents.
- Courteous, friendly staff with a willingness to listen
- Clean, safe, and comfortable building
- Expect all staff to give accurate information and/or appropriate referrals
- Mutual respect and common courtesy
- Work as a team – support each other beyond job class
- Communication at all levels
- Updates on policies, events, patrons, potential problems, etc.
- Expectation that email will be read on a daily basis
- Adequate and timely training
- Tidy, clean, and safe facilities
- Adequate staff
- Adequate supplies